April 29, 2008

Get out of London if you are looking for real English cultural experience...

My last trip to London was in 2000. It was a brief trip as part of my backpacking journey to Europe and the US. It's nice to come back to London - after 7 years, I now have a new appreciation of the city.

With not much time to look around the city we have only managed to go to a few restaurants in search of food, and some galleries. We went to the TATE Modern, the Design Museum and the V&A Museum and had a great time. I only wish we had more time and energy to see more.

What I notice about London this time round is how it has become more culturally diverse. I hear different accents everywhere, not only from tourists but from those working in hospitality. I'm told that they are many eastern Europeans working in London - I have met 2 men from Hungary, who told me they have many friends from Hungary who are working in London. London certainly is from what I remember it to be years ago, where the hotel doorman was all serious and English (in a good way), and I thought I got a real English experience then in London. Now London is a melting pot of English and European cultures. Mmm, perhaps when we go outside London after the week of tennis, we will be able to get some real English cultural experience.

No comments:

More blogs:

Related Posts with Thumbnails