August 8, 2008

My cast is gone!

It was a big day for me last Thursday - I had my cast taken off!

I was braving myself for another disappointment when I went to see the doctor, because 2 weeks ago I was told by the doctor that the bone was not healing well. After 6 weeks with the cast, I have had enough but I was told to wear it for another 2 weeks. I'm so happy it finally happened! Yay!

Not as I expected, I don't have to wear a plastic brace or boot. I'm given a support sock (shown in a couple of pictures below) to suppress swelling, and can gradually put all my weight on the leg. There will be a fair bit of exercises to follow through to strengthen and stretch the muscles and many visits to physio. For now, I still use the crutches until I am able to walk confidently.

I told my bro the good news and he wanted some photos. Bro, I'm afraid you are going to be disappointed because the photos are not exciting...

To start off, here are my first xrays of my left leg one day after the accident. The fracture is just above my ankle shown on the left of both images (indicated by red arrows).

IMG_2404

IMG_2403

Photos of one leg in the support sock (left leg)... I think the difference in size of the two legs is quite minor...

IMG_2387 IMG_2388

When the cast was taken off, my leg looked rather sad. It had layers and layers of dried skin, so the first thing I did when I arrived home was to try to wash the layers off. It's going to take a while... I could have stayed in the bathroom for a long time.

These photos are taken after having washed once, and they still show lots of dried skin. Here's a close-up (below left) just for you bro! The photo on the top right (below) shows the the outside of the foot is still a little swollen.

IMG_2402 IMG_2399

IMG_2398 IMG_2400

Previous related posts:

A broken leg... and light at the end of this tunnel - posted July 11

Ankle update (again) - posted June 23

Ankle update - posted June 17

A broken leg - that's what happened last weekend - posted June 11

No comments:

More blogs:

Related Posts with Thumbnails